Lyn-CAG Current Events:
Lynchburg Community Action Group’s Statement of Reflection on Current Events
The Board of Directors and Executive leadership of the Lynchburg Community Action Group (Lyn-CAG), expresses its deep sadness and concern over the recent events of January 6, 2021 in which armed protesters stormed our Nation’s Capital. This seditious and insurrectionist act that was propagated and encouraged by former President Donald Trump is not the way that Americans advocate for fairness and change. Our Lyn-CAG organization stands for justice under the law, equal treatment of all people, and the rights of all Americans to disagree over issues but stand together as a Nation “united.”
In these turbulent times, we must not use our individual ideologies to further divide and cause acts of violence against our Government, its properties, or against other citizens. It is critical that we offer ourselves as instruments of non-violence; that we become a people that believe in and support the diversity of all Americans, and that we stand together as a force for freedom and democracy both at home and abroad.
Lyn-CAG believes and continues to support efforts to improve the lives of all Americans. We are here to serve not to judge and we are committed to the following external and internal actions:
Externally, Lyn-CAG will:
- Zealously advocate for change in policies and systems that create racial and social disparities in the communities we serve. Provide advice and counsel to our legislators when necessary regarding legislation and policies that contribute to or dismantle racial and social disparities.
- Partner with local and state government officials to provide updates on legislative activity that directly addresses racial and social disparities.
- Seek the guidance of the Governor’s Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to help facilitate discussions on ways to promote racial and social equity in our community.
- Partner with key community organizations that participate in social and racial justice.
- Participate in and facilitate conversations and workshops on racial and social disparities and how to combat them.
Internally, Lyn-CAG will:
- Develop a comprehensive Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) plan for our organization ensure that we are living out the values that we communicate to others.
- Review internal policies that may be contributing to supremacist viewpoints and practices. Lyn-CAG will work to eliminate these practices from our organization.
- Participate in implicit bias training.
- Continuously educate ourselves on issues such as mass incarceration, environmental justice, health disparities, economic injustice, and racism within the community.
- Make sure that our governing Board remains as diverse, inclusive, and equitable as possible.